November 27, 2011

The Mad Rush

I’m not sure what it is about this time of year, but time seems to simultaneously speed up and slow down. How can that be? And the weather. I can’t even begin to contemplate this weather only to say that because if it, we got very few photos this week. Actually, we got none of work.

In a word RAIN — like Noah’s Ark kind of rain — and wind and very little reprieve with any of it.

Oh, and let’s not forget Thanksgiving. Delightful, wonderful, filled with family and friends, but for a dog like me — being outdoors is what it’s all about and frankly, when the rain comes down from the sky like Dog above is crying, well the fun is limited.

So are the photographs. Dare I say, they are all of me and my human family. Though I only worked three days last week, I have nary a photo to show for my work since every day we slogged through puddles and soggy leaves and pushed our curls through the wind and whatever flew at us sideways.

The only photos were taken on my walk with Gretchen where I was forced to wear a boot on my right front paw. Why? Because I tore it up on the weekend playing in the woods with my friend, Paige and wouldn’t stop licking it. So whenever we went out, I was forced to put on the boot. I took my frustrations out on a stick.

And though we don’t have a photo of it, I was also forced during our work outings to wear my red raincoat. That, my friends, is a testament to how yucky it was outside.

The highlight, despite the miserable wetness of the week, was going to Grandma and Grandpa’s for Thanksgiving only this year they broke with the long, long tradition of fixing the meal themselves and instead headed to a local lodge where they had dinner served to them. While I’m happy for them, I must say that I was asked to sit in the back of the car for 3 hours and watch the rain fall in the forest (and hear it pound on the car). I didn’t mind. I was all snuggled up in my soft round bed and warm, warm blankets, but I really would have liked to have been curled up under their table listening to their conversations.


Still they brought me something yummy and that made up for it all. Yep, my nameplate was edible!

And the rest of the time we were together, I got to hang out with my Grandpa. He is very gentle with me and while I like helping Grandma in the kitchen, I like hanging out with Grandpa wherever he is.

Luckily, the rain broke for a bit and I got to go to the fairgrounds where I was allowed to race around and smell the leftovers of the August fair. I even saw a cat race across the lawn and into a barn. I raced after it, but then I was baffled because it ran into the horse barn. Can’t the cat read?

Even though we relaxed and had a great time, it all went by way too fast. And what do I have to show for it? Certainly not many photographs, but my heart (and belly) are full and I am ready for the new week to begin (sans rain I hope!)

Stay dry everyone!


Leave a Reply